If you’re a transportation company in the United States you must file a BOC-3 with the FMCSA before you’re permitted to legally operate. So, if you’re a motor carrier, broker, or freight forwarder and plan to conduct business across state lines you’ll need a designated process agent in every state.

In this article, we’ll discuss everything you need to know about BOC-3 filings. This way you can get your drivers out on the road in no time!

What’s the Purpose of a BOC 3?

This is a federal filing that states the names and addresses of all your process agents in every state you’re authorized to conduct business in. These people are assigned to accept legal documents on your behalf.

If you’re a motor carrier then your process agent will need to file your BOC-3 for you online. However, if you’re a freight forwarder or broker with no vehicles you’ll file this document yourself by mail or online.

How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Process Agent?

Several factors determine the cost of a process agent. For instance, the type of service you opt for will greatly affect it. Depending on your needs and personal preference, you can hire them to file your BOC-3 only or have them do additional administrative work. Sometimes this is a good option for those who are new to the trucking industry or have too much on their plate.

Another factor that affects the cost of process agents is their fee structure. Each agent will charge a different rate. For instance, maybe they’ll only have a one-time fee or they could charge one per additional document.

How to File a BOC 3 Form

When you go to file this document through the FMCSA website, you’ll provide the following information:

  • The name and address of the transportation company
  • The name and title of your process agent
  • All the names and addresses of your process agents (you’ll need to do this for every state you operate in)

How Long Does It Take?

Once everything has been properly filed, the documents will be mailed to you within a few business days. If you don’t receive them within 2 weeks you can contact the FMCSA.

Will I Need to Refile at Some Point?

As long as there are no changes in the company you won’t need to refile. However, if you get a new process agent, there’s a name change, address change, or a transfer of authority you will need to edit and resubmit your BOC-3.

Bottom Line

In a nutshell, a BOC-3 filling is vital for transportation businesses. Therefore, if you wish to get up and running you’ll need to file this form. If you need assistance make sure to hire an professional who can submit the document on your behalf.

Give Us a Call Today

TruckingHQ is here to help transportation companies navigate regulation, compliance, and back office paperwork.